National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA)
||Name of the Authority
Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority
||Date of Establishment
||3rd/5th Floor, YMCA
Cultural Centre Building,1, Jai Singh Road, New Delhi 110 001
The National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority was set up as an attached office of the
Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals (now Department of
Pharmaceuticals since July, 2008) on 29th August 1997. It has been entrusted
inter-alia, with the following functions
- To implement and enforce the provisions of the Drugs Price Control Order (DPCO), 1995/2013 in
accordance with the powers delegated to it.
- To undertake and/or sponsor relevant studies in respect of pricing of
- To monitor the availability of drugs, identify shortages, if any, and to take remedial
- To collect/maintain data on production, exports and imports, market share of
individual companies, profitability of companies etc. for bulk drugs and
- To deal with
all legal matters arising out of the decisions of the Authority.
- To render advice to the Central Government on changes/revisions in the drug policy.
- To render assistance to the Central Government in the parliamentary matters relating
to the drug pricing.